That appears to be the question. What then is the answer? I am going to discuss the pro’s and con’s and then tell you what I do 🙂 I would like to put a little disclaimer out here before I start writing this post. First, I do NOT in any way, shape or form believe that your weight has everything or sometimes even anything to do with your health and fitness. There are so many other ways of measuring Fitness and Health but weight is the common denominator here and everyone lives by it. Your WEIGHT is only one factor in determining your health and fitness. I know plenty of super skinny people that couldn’t run to their mailbox and regardless of what they look like on the outside, their insides are being torn up with all the crap that put in their bodies. So with that said…
Pro’s of weighing yourself daily
- You have instant gratification that what you are doing is working
- You have the ability to make changes on the fly if something that you are doing appears to not be working
- You will inevitably have a smile on your face all day knowing that your hard work is paying off
- If you are a numbers person or someone who likes statistics you can accurately keep a good record of where you are at and what happened in your life at these times that affected your weight.
Con’s of weighing yourself daily
- You have an instant feeling of failure if you know you have doing all the hard work and you either didn’t lose anything or you gained.
- You lose the ability to make changes and eventually give up because nothing that you are doing appears to be working.
- You will inevitably be in a crabby mood to everyone around you for the remainder of the day until you next step on the scale and then by God that scale better have a lower number or else…
- If you hate numbers and tracking statistics weighing yourself daily is meaningless.
I am a numbers guy. I love numbers and statistics. So, yes, I weigh myself daily. I determined a long time ago that I want and need instant gratification. I don’t want to wait a week to see if what I have been doing is working because if it isn’t..well that week is gone and I can’t undue what was done. I like seeing the numbers change and I already know mentally that it is going to fluctuate however as long as the trend is moving down, I am ok with that. I don’t get to wrapped around the axle if my weight is up a pound today…if it is up 5 or 6…now I need to look back and see the heck I did or better yet, just go get a new scale. 🙂
Weighing yourself is like a relationship. Those of us who have been in one or are in one can tell you with 100% certainty that not everyday is going to be a great day. Somedays your relationship is perfect and everyone is happy. Other days, not so much…but that doesn’t mean we still aren’t in love with our partner.
In the end as long as you have a plan, you don’t have much to worry about. Focus on your goals, have a plan set in place to achieve those goals and over the long haul, everything will work out.
Jim Parker is the owner and operator of Muffins to Marathons – Fit 4 Life and the Fit 4 Life Race Series. If you have a comment for this story, please feel free to add your comments. If you would like to contact Jim with a story or an idea please contact him at email@example.com or on twitter @M2M_Fit4Life